The precariously mounted wireless camera on the back of the little Bronco. I didn't want to mount it there but the mount it came with only works properly on a horizontal surface. I'll have to be careful about going under any low hanging branches.
Today is when I get my hands dirty, where things get real, where push comes to shove, and your Depends get pushed to the limit. Yes I'm talking about, power tools, making holes in things, and holding 12 volts of raw power in my bare hands. I tried that with AC power once and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Today is not for the squeamish, the namby-pamby, or the guys that wear skinny jeans, don't shave for three days and think they have a beard.... Today I get physical.
If my preplan, plan, and post plan, have gone according to plan then I'm done with planning and I now have a concrete plan that's written in stone.
All of the tools that I need for this project have been gathered together in one place for ease of access... After a couple of hours of looking I finally remembered where that place was.
I measured the exact location of the single hole I needed to drill in the roof of the camper for the power wires to pass through to the interior. The first hole was slightly off, but after three or four tries it was exactly where it needed to be.
I quickly and easily tapped into an interior power wire using an interior tandem wire splice device to provide power to the camera. Now the only thing left to do in the camper itself is figure out why the camera only comes on when I blow the horn.
Since hooking up the camera only took a couple of hours that left plenty of time before dark to hook up the camera's monitor in the truck. The monitor was a more difficult installation because it had three wires with it instead of two like the camera. But despite that complication I got the wires hooked up in two shakes of a lamb's tail and had a beautiful color picture of what was going on behind the camper. I haven't had a chance to road test it yet because I can't get the truck started, it appears to be an electrical problem.
I think this shows how DIY projects go much smoother when you follow the 3 P's, pre-plan, plan, and post-plan, actually I think that's 5 P's. I expected this project to take at least two days but thanks to the 3 P's, or 5 P's depending on your hyphens, I got it done in just short of 18 hours.
That gives me me plenty of time tomorrow to have my truck towed into the shop to figure out why it won't start and how come my electric windows won't stop going up and down. I have to admit the windows are fun to watch.
Remember anytime you're dealing with electrical wires neatness counts.
My new view from inside the truck. This will make it a lot harder for someone to sneak up on me.