I'm still staying pretty busy, at least what I call busy. After I finished my wireless video camera project I started working on the, "winch to pull my motorcycle up on the rack" project but ran into a snag and put that project aside to do some more work on my "lithium iron batteries for the Arctic Fox" project, even though I still need a few odds and ends to complete it.
Before I could route the cables to the batteries I had to decide for sure where the batteries were going to be located and how they were going to be laid out. One of my concerns was if the batteries could be placed side-by-side touching each other. I thought it might be a problem because of heat build up or something like that. I called the battery company [Battle Born] and talked to them for a while about some of the questions I had, I found out that the batteries don't produce any heat themselves so they can be touching each other but they do need to be in a place where there's some air circulation so they don't get too hot in the summer.
I made a hole in the storage area floor that's under my bed big enough to bring in three 3/0 welding cables that will go from the new lithium iron batteries to the storage area under the fifth wheel overhang, where my old batteries are and all of the electronic gadgetry is located.
I spent some time this morning making the short cables that will hook the batteries up in parallel and crimping the large lugs to the cables. I had some black shrink tubing to put on the negative cables but I'm still waiting for my red shrink tubing to show up.
I brought a negative cable up through the hole in the floor, and now I'm just starting to route the cable in the storage compartment where my solar controller and inverter are located.
So far everything's been pretty easy but its just time-consuming because some things are hard to get to, and I have to work in some funny twisted positions which is tough on my back. But fortunately I can take frequent and lengthy breaks, because I'm the boss.
The lithium iron batteries in their new home under my bed.
This is the hole I made under the bed to bring the cables up to the batteries from the solar controller and the inverter.I had to drill through half inch plywood and some thick sheet metal to make the holes. So I put some conduit through the holes so the cables wouldn't be damaged.
These are the short cables I made to hook up the lithium iron batteries in parallel. As soon as my red shrink tubing arrives three of these cables will become red.